I could be rushing on things but here it goes...
By now, some of you may have seen the other side of BJ Thoughts using Wordpress. After an almost a year at Blogger and several days of “parallel” run, time has come to migrate from the old house at Blogger to a new one at Wordpress.
I got involved with Wordpress by accident. Yes, I have heard of Wordpress before and there have been a number of posts on Wordpress version 2.0 in the blogsphere. Someone wanted to know a good tool for blogging and since they had the benefit of free server hosting, I recommended Wordpress as that is what the majority been using. However it was an irony that I was recommending something that I have not used myself. So I hopped over to Wordpress.Com and realized that they have free hosting for blogs similar to one at Blogger.
So, I weighted the advantages between Wordpress and Blogger to be sure that it is indeed worthwhile to move. After all just like moving house - that is a big and critical decision.
1. Definitely a better blogging management (it is properly laid out and has more management features compared to Blogger)
2. Integrated blog stats (this is not a big issue really but in Blogger, it means using a 3rd party stats facility. In Wordpress, it is there all at one place)
3. Better commenting system (very similar to Haloscan but without the limitation of 100 comments in the Haloscan’s free version…right?)
4. Cleaner interface to do “on the spot” editing on existing posts (I can just click on my older post and if I don’t like what I see, I can click immediately to edit. There is something similar in Blogger but in Wordpress, it is cleaner and fast)
1. It is part of Google (do I need to say more? Wordpress.com is just starting out)
2. Integrated picture hosting (I thought it will be a problem because Wordpress does not have such features [yet] but I found a solution to link the pictures from Blogger to Wordpress. Besides, I still have Photobucket to stand by for hosting pictures for Wordpress)
3. Writing a new post is cleaner and easy (No offence to Wordpress but it is a difficult to write a post in Wordpress. The window is small and for some reason, Wordpress adds new codes to the html version of the new post. In Blogger, it is cleaner and I don’t have to double check the html codes before I click on the “publish” button)
4. Unlimited choice of template (free hands on the xhtml codes), plug-ins and hacks (I know Wordpress can do the same but when using the free hosting at Wordpress.com, choices are limited. However I am sure that things will change as more and more people starts to use their services. For now, I am happy with what I have for now in Wordpress)
Balancing the both, Wordpress has an edge – its management system wins hands down (I am sure a lot of “satisfied customers” will attest to this). I am sure it will be even powerful if I have my own domain. Of course, I will have the luxury of moving back to Blogger if things do not work out at Wordpress.com
And just like moving to a new house, there is still a lot of work to be done at the new house. I need to re-tag my older posts categories and readjust some of the pictures in some of the older posts.
So, here it is – the address for the new house:-
BJ Thoughts new URL:-
BJ Thoughts new Feed URL:-
See you there!
Del.icio.us Tag: Blogsphere